UNDP NDC Support Programme is organizing a global gender workshop on the NDC process from April 24-26 in Nairobi, Kenya. This event will gather the countries that are mainstreaming gender equality in their national climate actions and strategies through the Programme.
The participatory and interactive workshop will provide an opportunity for sharing of experiences, lessons learned and ways forward on gender-responsive NDC planning and implementation. Government representatives from the Ministries of Environment and Ministries of Gender and a representative from the project unit from 18 countries have been invited. Participants also include representatives from international organisations, development partners and other institutions involved in the NDC process. The countries are: Bhutan, Chile, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote D’Ivoire, Ecuador, Ghana, Guatemala, Kenya, Lebanon, Nepal, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Trinidad and Tobago, Uganda, Vietnam, Zambia.
- Encourage and facilitate peer-to-peer exchange among countries to share experiences and lessons learned on integrating gender equality into NDC planning and implementation based on preliminary findings of their gender analyses.
- Identify opportunities to integrate or strengthen gender equality considerations in the three works areas of governance, planning and policy, in order to consolidate a way forward for the short term, and for future enhanced NDC cycles.
- Strengthen the linkages between gender-responsive NDCs to broad development benefits/SDGs
When April 24-26, 2019
Where Nairobi, Kenya
Gender Data and Analysis: Gateway for Inclusive National Climate Action
First Insights from Ghana’s Gender-sensitive Approach to Climate Action for the Paris Agreement NDC Implementation
- Poster session
- Guidance Note for a Gender Analysis
- Gender Gaps by Sector – Elevator Pitches presentations (UNDP, IUCN, UNREDD, NDC Partnership, WEDO, WRI, UNFCCC)
- Recap on Day 1 – Fatuma Hussein, UNDP
- Gender-Responsive Indicators Briefing Note
- Planning session
- Opportunities in the NDC planning process to strengthen the role and ability of women to be agents of change in climate change – Dr. Antwi Boasiako Amoah, Environmental Protection Agency, Ghana
- Incorporating Gender and Development in the NDC Process – Philippines – Joe Mari Francisco, Climate Change Commission, Philippines
- Climate Change Policy Instruments – Peru – Jessica Huertas Campoverde, Ministry of Environment, Peru
- Climate Budget tagging with focus on policies, risks, and gender-based beneficiaries: Nepal’s Experience – Madhukar Upadhya, UNDP Nepal
- Climate Finance – Evelyne Batamuliza, UNDP RBH
- Reference documents:
- Recap on Day 2 – Lisa Bow, NDC Partnership
- Session: Enhancement and revision – NDCs/SDG as a pathway to enhanced ambition
- Enhancement and Revision – Allison Towle, UNDP
- NDC-SDG Synchronization: Lebanon’s Way Forward – Vahakn Kabakian, UNDP/Ministry of Environment, Lebanon
- Linking up implementation of the SDG and NDC for stronger gender equality – Natalie Elwell, WRI
- Involvement of Women’s Organization in NDC Process – Visions for Viet Nam’s Women’s Union – Nguyen Thi Minh Huong, Viet Nam’s Women’s Union
- Ecuador – Maria Ines Rivadeneira, NDC Support Programme, Ecuador
- How can the international process best support national level work on gender responsive NDC implementation – Fleur Newman, UNFCCC
- Reference document: Gender References in the Paris Agreement Guidelines